jQuery Mobile is Touch-Optimized Web Framework for Smartphones & Tablets, built on the jQuery and jQuery UI foundation. Its lightweight code is built with progressive enhancement, It has a flexible, easily theme changeable design.
- Built on jQuery core for familiar and consistent jQuery syntax and minimal learning curve
- Compatible with all major mobile platforms – iOS, Android, Blackberry, Palm WebOS, Nokia/Symbian, Windows Mobile, bada, MeeGo with baseline support for all devices that understand HTML
- Lightweight size (9k compressed for all mobile functionality) and minimal image dependencies for speed.
- Markup-driven configuration of pages and behavior for fast development and minimal scripting
- Progressive enhancement approach brings core content and functionality to all mobile, tablet and deskstop platforms and a rich, installed application-like experience on newer mobile platforms
- Automatic initialization by using HTML5 data-role attributes in the HTML markup to act as the trigger for the mobilize() function to automatically initialize all jQuery Mobile widgets found on a page.
- Accessibility features such as WAI-ARIA are also included to ensure that the pages work for screen readers (e.g. VoiceOver in iOS) and other assistive technologies.
- Normalized events streamline the process of supporting touch, mouse, and cursor focus-based user input methods with a simple API.
- Powerful theming framework and ThemeRoller application make highly-branded experiences easy to build.
jQuery Mobile – Tutorials
In This Tutorial, they create a simple page that loads internal links using a variety of transition effects. The first few steps will outline the generic usage of jQuery Mobile while the rest will take a look at the specific elements used in the demo.